Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pholidota chinensis in bloom last month

I can't believe I haven't posted since November! Definitely overdue :)

One of my newer orchis is a Pholidota chinensis, which I acquired February 2010 @ the Southern Ontario Orchid Society Show, before my 2011 New Years resolution not to acquire any new orchids!

I was attracted to this little plant because it said to culture like Coelogyne, and I have had quite a bit of success reblooming my two Coelogynes, both on the west coast and here in Toronto. So I thought I would give this Pholidota a try, plus I had never heard of it before!

Pholidota is a small-sized southern Chinese orchid, also found in Vietnam, Hong Kong, and Burma. It has small flowers on pendulous spikes and the flowers are mildly fragrant. My flowers were almost translucent in colour.



For more blogging about Pholidota chinensis, see this post on Backbulbs by Richard Lindberg.

3 Comments:

At 6:25 a.m., Anonymous artificial grass said...

The closer you can come to creating these conditions in your growing area, the more success and better blooms you will have.

 
At 7:31 a.m., Anonymous White Card said...

It is very simple but it is so beautiful.

 
At 1:00 p.m., Anonymous Orchid Origin said...

Well done my friend, you did a great job getting your orchid to bloom. I kinda like the translucent color myself, it gives it some unique characteristic compared to most other orchids. Nice website as well!

Josh Stockton

 

Post a Comment

<< Home