Saturday, January 09, 2010

Finally, my Coelogyne cristata is in bloom!!

A very exciting development from my little orchid corner of the world ... a Coelogyne cristata clipping that I got in June 2005 is finally in bloom! The flowers haven't opened yet but I am hoping, fingers crossed, that the bloom is successful.

I was a little worried last week upon returning home from being away in Quebec City for a few days over the holidays that maybe the spike was dying. I had turned the heat off in the house, not expecting it to get that cold inside, and when we came back it was 8C! Luckily all the orchids seem fine, despite the brownish colour of the sheath on the Coelogyne spike, it's still growing and developing!

Now it's just fingers crossed that it opens in the next 5 days because I'm headed away again to Boston for work next weekend. I can't wait to see the flowers and check out the scent, hopefully before I leave!

2 Comments:

At 8:11 a.m., Anonymous Rick said...

congradulations! what a beauty. How long will bloom cycles last outdoors in Toronto? I am curious how the cooler temps affect the plant in Canada. I live in south Fla. So we are sub tropical Phals here bloom what seem like forever. Very nice pics thanks.

 
At 4:48 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Hi Rick,

This plant was in bloom indoors. I have actually never grown an orchid in cultivation that bloomed outdoors. The only orchids I put outside right now are my cymbidium(s), just through the summer and early fall and I bring them inside before they bloom in the winter. In terms of wild orchids, bloom time really depends on many factors. For example, I think the helleborines that are quite common around here had a much shorter bloom time this year because of our intense heat and humidity this year. Bloom time seemed really short this time around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home