Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wild orchids in Hawaii

We just got back from traveling around three Hawaiian islands (Hawaii, Kauai, Oahu) and I am happy to report that we saw a patches of wild orchids on two islands. Neither species is endemic to Hawaii, but it was still exciting to spot them. Hawaii only has three endemic species (see post from March 2006).

On Kauai we saw patches of tall pink orchids inland in the valley near the Hanama'ulu and Wailua streams. These are Philippine ground orchids (Spathoglottis plicata) and were introduced. Unfortunately my pictures of these were taken on a disposable underwater camera and didn't turn out very well.

On the big island of Hawaii we saw patches of white and purple orchids which I believe are Bamboo orchids, also introduced (Arundinea graminifolia). We saw these in a few locations around the island including the Volcanoes National Park, where the plants were growing with other grasses surprisingly close to steam vents from the volcano, and near Akaka Falls State Park.

Pictured here are the "volcano orchids" (Bamboo orchids):



3 Comments:

At 2:43 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Great blog so I have added you to my favorites. We would love to be added on your links column Orchid Resources and my boss will give me a pat on the back if you add us too :)
Thanks,
1888Orchids.com

 
At 10:56 p.m., Blogger Sunita Mohan said...

Great blog. I grow the Spathoglottis and Arundina bambusifola in my garden in India. No volcanos here but its still doing pretty okay : )

 
At 7:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a question... I am looking for a big field of orchids... is it possible to find one and where the closer to U.S the better but im willing to travel as far as i can to get there... want to pop the question to a special lady in a field of her favorite flowers. thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home