Sunday, July 06, 2008

Rose pogonia orchid?

While hiking out to the cliffs of Georgian Bay at the end of May, we passed this little wildflower growing in lowland boggy areas along the trail. I wondered if it might be an orchid and it turns out that it is! Rose pogonia (Pogonia ophioglossoides) is a native orchid also known as snakemouth.

However, I have just done a little bit more research and now I wonder if this is not an orchid but a member of the milkwort family called Fringed Polygala. It was growing very low to the ground and I think that Rose pogonia is taller (6-8 inches). Also, the flower we saw had only three petals. Alas, I think I was foiled, but now I will have to watch for Rose pogonia orchid on future outings!

2 Comments:

At 5:13 p.m., Blogger Mathias N Oz said...

it is beautiful whether an orchid or Asclepiadaceae

 
At 5:15 p.m., Blogger Mathias N Oz said...

oops.... Polygalaceae

 

Post a Comment

<< Home