Sunday, May 11, 2008

Yvonne's Orchid Fancy / Schreiber's Orchids

Yesterday we finally made our trip out to a greenhouse north of the city - we had been planning on going before Christmas, but it seemed that every weekend this past winter there was a snow storm that would have made travel difficult and dangerous.

Yesterday was a warm and sunny day and we headed out of town with my little list of Paphiopedilums. I managed to stick pretty closely to what was on the list and I was only swayed by two additional items. Here are the new acquisitions:

Paph. acmodontum

Paph. bellatulum
Paph. henryanum
Paph. venustum
Paph. venustum album
Brassavola digbyana
Tolumnia henekenii

Shortly after we arrived, I was surprised and saddened to learn that Gary, who I had been in email communication with before Christmas regarding our list and who I had seen at one of the vendor stalls at the orchid show in Toronto in February, had passed away suddenly in early April. My condolences again to his family and friends - from the little communication I had with him I know that his passing has left a significant gap in the orchid world both around here and no doubt further afield as well.

Here are some pictures from the Schreiber greenhouses.







2 Comments:

At 10:47 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary was my uncle and I am sorry he is gone. I am also happy to see the orchids he loved so much living on in his absence. His father my grandfather was an avid rose cultivator and acutally created his own variations of roses. I am sure they are happily together in the horticultural world beyond. Love to Yvonne, Chris and Sarina. Nancy Leonard

 
At 11:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home