Saturday, April 26, 2008

Blog anniversary and Cayman Island ghost orchid

This weekend marks the 3-year anniversary of our Orchidelirium orchid blog! I was hoping to have some new pictures to post this weekend, but our trip to a nearby greenhouse hasn't worked out yet. Watch for some greenhouse pictures in the next couple of weeks!

Meanwhile, I found an interesting article about ghost orchids on the Cayman Islands. I didn't know that the ghost orchid Dendrophylax fawcettii is found only in Grand Cayman. The very rare orchids were found on a section of land designated to be cleared for a new road so construction has been halted for the last few weeks. In case you're wondering like I was, the Florida ghost orchid is Polyradicion lindenii.

Here is another picture of the Grand Cayman ghost orchid.

2 Comments:

At 7:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I just discovered your lovely blog. I'm a writer and I was wondering if I could interview any or all of you for an article. If so, you can contact me at northdipper9@yahoo.com and I'll tell you more!

Thanks!

 
At 5:49 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Here's another story about the Florida ghost orchid, from a weekend article in the
Baltimore Sun

 

Post a Comment

<< Home