Sunday, June 24, 2007

Native orchid update

It's been a while since I last posted anything... some native orchids are out in bloom right now like my Dad's Dactylorhiza species that had a incredible showing this year. It isn't native to the West Coast, but grows here no problem. My Dad got this plant from Thimble Farms on Saltspring Island which specialize in native orchids that can grow out here on the west coast.


A true native species to the west coast that is just finishing blooming these days is Corallorhiza species commonly known as the coral root orchid.
A native species that one should keep an eye out for is Goodyera oblingifolia which is just putting out spikes.

2 Comments:

At 2:56 a.m., Blogger Funkybrewster said...

I really think we should organize an 'Orchidelirium' fieldtrip to Thimble Farm when I get back!

 
At 10:29 p.m., Blogger Florida Nature Photography said...

Great photos!!! I just had to send you a comment - I'm your East Coast counterpart! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home