Sunday, October 15, 2006

Fall orchid update

There is not too much to report on... two plants are in bloom right now, both are Jenn's: the Phrag "longifolium" X has a new flower that has opened and another bud developing, and of course old faithful Psycopsis is in bloom. There are two new pseudobulbs on Jenn's Bulb. lasiochilum. I had two new ones as well, but they don't look like they are going to make it.

I have a number of buds on the Dendrobium monoliforme, and a couple of the bottom leaves have turned yellow. I think I might have to wait for all of the leaves on this deciduous plant to drop before the flowers open? Not sure.

The most exciting news is that my rescue cymbidium, the one that I left out in our porch / entrance way all last winter, has 5 flower spikes on it!! One is fairly well advanced (enough to tell it is definitely a spike). I paid $5 for this plant after Mother's Day in May 2005, and have no idea what the flowers look like. I thought I had abused the plant too much even though from what I had read it was recommended that it be left in a cool but sheltered porch area over winter, but I guess it paid off! Can't wait to see what the flowers look like.

1 Comments:

At 12:43 p.m., Blogger Funkybrewster said...

yeah! your cymb is in bloom! funny that it bloom in a completely different season than mine....can't wait to see the flowers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home