Sunday, October 22, 2006

Fall Cattleyas....

With leaves turning yellow outside and all outdoor plants getting ready for the long winter sleep, it's a real treat to have some blooming plants in my greenhouse. The first is Cattleya maxima and I am lucky to have a high altitude form which has a much smaller plant then the regular low land type. Along with the small plant size, this form has much darker colored flowers then the regular type. Not a bad combo : )
The other is Cattleya violacea which is a native of Brazil and it's warm tropical areas. Living on the west coast of Canada we always have cooler nights and warmer days, but I have managed to find a microclimate in my greenhouse that keeps things warm enough for this lovely Cattleya to bloom.

1 Comments:

At 10:02 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Beautiful cattleyas! I have yet to see one in my own collection bloom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home