Sunday, April 09, 2006

It's That Time of Year When....

Calypso bulbosa is starting to come into flower. It grows in shady areas and has single dark green leaves that hug the ground. The flower spike emerges in early spring and produces a single lovely pink/purlple flower. I have seen dark purple forms all the way to almost white albino varieties. This is a tough species that can be found throughout North America, North Asia, Europe and Scandenavia. So if you get a chance to hike in the forests in the next couple of weeks, keep your eyes peeled for a splash of pink near the ground and you might be lucky and spot Calypso bulbosa.

5 Comments:

At 8:23 p.m., Blogger Christina said...

Lovely! I'm headed to Yosemite next week - how far south in North America are these guys? I found these photos online indicating they've been found near Mt. Tamalpais (just north of San Francisco), but with all the rain we've been having, mudslides have been an issue on all kinds of local roads. If there are any other orchids you may know of growing in central California, I'd love to hear about them!

 
At 11:30 a.m., Blogger pol said...

very, very beautifull flowers. Some time ago, I've seen in a garden, some flowers like you publish. I'll try to take some pictures.

 
At 7:31 p.m., Blogger Katie said...

Beautiful pictures. I will certainly be on the look out for those!

 
At 2:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really would like to see orchids out in the real world. I'm not sure that we have a lot of "wild" orchids in Denmark - and I'm even less sure that I would even notice one if I came across one.
At least I now know what to look for thanks to your beautiful pictures.

 
At 10:36 a.m., Blogger Ava said...

What nice pictures you have taken here. These are my favorite color! Very pretty.

Ava

 

Post a Comment

<< Home