Monday, March 20, 2006

Orchids in Bloom


Three orchids went into bloom for me this weekend. The first is Dendrobium dixanthum. A deciduous Dendrobium with one foot long pencil thin psuedobulbs which produce several beautiful yellow flowers at their tops.

The second is the gorgeous Paphiopedlum micranthum. The bubble gum pink is so unique! I am lucky and get this plant to bloom two times a year for me. The plant has very beautiful molted foliage which is enjoyed throughout the year when the plant is out of bloom.

The third is Bifrenaria harrisoniae. I can't take any credit for blooming this one as I bought it at the Victoria Orchid Society Show already in bud in the first week of March. It finally opened up and has one of the most pleasant fragrances.




Stay tuned for future posts as I returned in February from a back country expedition in Mexico where I saw many orchids growing in the wild.

14 Comments:

At 9:08 a.m., Blogger læ spina said...

Hi!
I am David Nikolalde, from Ecuador, one of the countries with a big variety of orchides in the world. I´d like to know about this kind of flowers in another countries.
Good Luck, See you soon.

 
At 1:47 p.m., Blogger Irene said...

I was thrilled to see your blog! I've attempted orchids many times and it is just this past year that I've managed to keep a couple going... It was mostly lighting -- they like my bathroom...

Thanks for the orchid photos!

~Irene

 
At 2:59 p.m., Blogger Doc Shazam said...

Love your blog! I need to take better care of my orchids

 
At 6:43 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Sasha,
Great pix and great post! My favourite is the Bifrenaria - love the flower ... good score at the show! What does it smell like?

 
At 8:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, who can choose a favorite, they're all fabulous! Love these pics...way better than the blooms I've got to share just now. Thanks for the great shots, and for what looks to be a most interesting blog. I've not tried orchids yet. Are cats fond of them?

 
At 10:09 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Now I know why some people just love orchids. :D

 
At 10:54 a.m., Blogger Scooty Wayne said...

Beautiful orchids. One of my orchids, called "Halloween" has two spikes with flowers - should see the blooms this week.

 
At 3:51 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I saw the most unbelievably beautiful orchids at an orchid show on the island of Palawan in the Philippines. We lived there for four years and orchids are everywhere. Do you mind if I post a link to your site on my blog?

 
At 4:39 p.m., Blogger Diafragma said...

Hola, que envidia tener la posibilidad de ver, conocer, fotografiar, catalogar esta gran variedad de orquídeas, con lo reducida que es nuestra variedad en Catalunya (Spain).
Un saludo cordial desde aqui.

 
At 5:43 p.m., Blogger Buckeye said...

Outstanding.The pictures alone are refreshing. It must be akin to spiritual, to work with orchids.

 
At 9:52 p.m., Blogger Lito said...

Wow, these pictures remind me of the orchids in the Philippines.

Little's Blog Things

 
At 9:54 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures of the orchids!

 
At 11:20 a.m., Blogger Vulcan said...

beautiful these pictures of flowers!

 
At 11:05 a.m., Blogger MaggieGladYouCame said...

Your orchid pictures are lovely. I grow violets - but not like most growers - 6 plants are enough for me right now. Is there an orchid that blooms 5 or 6 times a year? Would love to have one but want one that blooms a little more often than many. Thanks for your help. Maggiegladyoucame

 

Post a Comment

<< Home