Thursday, March 16, 2006

New ebay orchid


I was recently browsing the ebay orchid selection, not really intending to buy anything but always a dangerous pursuit anyways, and found a dendrobium orchid that I really liked. It was apparently in bud, and feeling a lack of blooming or even blooming size orchids in my collection, I decided to go ahead and purchase it. Didn't even have to bid on it as it had a Buy It Now price.

It's a Dendrobium moniliforme and it arrived today. It was in bud when I bought it this past weekend, and when it arrived it had five open blooms on it! I had to unwrap it very carefully so as not to disturb the flowers, and they have a lovely scent, sort of spicy. I have yet to pot the plant, but it also has 2 or 3 new growths on it. Overall I would say that I am so far very happy with this plant. The picture isn't very great as there wasn't much light last night, but it gives you an idea. Also, here is some culture info.

8 Comments:

At 3:49 p.m., Blogger Funkybrewster said...

Naomi I think you have successfully surpassed the size of my collection, I am standing at 21! You are an addict and I love it!
Jenn

 
At 7:01 p.m., Blogger pol said...

Grat plant, grat flowers. Good luck with it.

 
At 7:26 p.m., Blogger Katie said...

I have bought orchids over ebay and I have to say, that so far, I have always been very happy with my purchases.

 
At 5:04 p.m., Blogger Tira said...

Another Orchid??? Soon you'll have to start up an 'Orchids Anonymous' site!

 
At 8:44 p.m., Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

That seems very nice :)

I have to ask, is the "cuticle" stem layer supposed to be so dessicated? (Novice here.) It looks almost like the plant ran dry.

Would that change in a more humid environment?

Rockets

 
At 11:00 p.m., Blogger BionicBuddha said...

Is there a risk in shipping these plants, in small quantities? I would think they would be much too delicate to market on ebay. Very interesting blog and some great pictures!!

BionicBuddha

 
At 10:29 a.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Alex,
Not sure exactly which part you are describing as "cuticle", but a standard plant description states that the plant has purplish green stems, with many nodes and covered with grayish sheaths, which yellow with age. The plant is also deciduous. There are some great pictures of nice specimen plants (though different varietes) here: http://www.orchidspecies.com/
denmoniliforme.htm

 
At 11:45 a.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

bionicbuddha,

The ebay vendors that we have purchased from so far have all done a fabulous job of packing up our plants, even just one or two plants. Plants are often shipped bare root and wrapped lovingly in shredded newspaper for delicate padding, then packaged up in a box. At this time of year, you can also opt to have a disposable heat pack included with your plant. Many greenhouses will also wait until Spring to ship your plants so as to avoid the risk of transport during cold weather. Here's an older photo of the first ebay orchids we purchased, and the pkg. they arrived in:
http://flickr.com/photos/
97402595@N00/10804853/in/set-266485/

Certainly, this most recent orchid was a bit more delicate in that the plant was in bud / bloom when it was shipped, but again, kudos to the vendor (Tropical Gardens, Ont.) for a great packing job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home