Sunday, March 26, 2006

More Orchids in Bloom

This is Maxillaria juergensis. I have always had a thing for black orchids and this one comes close. There are a few out there that are much more black, but I don't rember their names. This is a cute minature with pin cushion type leaves and bulbs that produces these interesting flowers. The lip looks wet eventhough it isn't. I think this aids polination somehow?


This is Leptotes bicolor and is a real nice minature. It has 2 inch terete leaves and produces these nice 1 inch flowers. I have seen some great speciman plants of this orchid, but have a ways to go with mine.


This is Cirrhopetalum lasiochilum. I have seen color forms of this species from pale green yellow, to this form, to a dark burgundy red color. It is easy to grow except that it is a creeper and is best mounted on bark. I use cork bark allot but tree fern works well also.

8 Comments:

At 12:43 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

I think I need to mount my lasiochilum as it is in need of spreading. Jenn, yours is on rock, right? How is it doing?

Love the Maxillaria. The glossy / wet look must aid in pollination and it reminds me of the local wild summer orchids, Epipactis helleborine, which also has a shiny aspect to it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/
97402595@N00/30205890/ (It has dried up in this photo but I think it is a similar sort of mechanism?)

 
At 6:05 a.m., Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I love the little ones...

Snakes on a plane

 
At 9:04 a.m., Blogger Katie said...

I was not familar with this type of Maxillaria. Thanks for the picture. I just love this blog!

 
At 9:26 a.m., Blogger Funkybrewster said...

my lasiochilum is mounted on slate but I think cork is much better, better water retention. Its all about finding some cork...any suggestions Sasha?

 
At 12:52 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Hi Jenn,
I did a search in Google yesterday for cork bark orchids and found a couple of promising vendors:

Tindara Orchids
http://www.tindaraorchids.com/
index_tindara.htm?mediums_mounts.htm~rbottom

Calwest Orchid Supplies
http://www.orchid-supplies.com/cork_bark.html

What I'm not sure about is whether you can import this stuff into Canada from a US vendor. I was also thinking about calling one of the local Saanich Peninsula orchid growers to see if they carry cork bark. I'm sure other Canadian orchid vendors would carry bark as well. I'll take a look.

 
At 7:40 p.m., Blogger SugarBitz n MilkyBar said...

Hi,

Coming from a country whose national flower is an orchid, I just love your blog. Great pixs!

 
At 7:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, met naomi when she was in windsor. i am looking into a source of cork in oakville. i emailed the guy and am waiting on a response. will keep you posted. your blog is top notch!

-kris-

 
At 9:21 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cork people emailed. It is $5.95/lb for flat cork bark, and $7.50/lb for part tubed. This does not include tax or shipping.

You can view these online @http://www.corkstore.com go to specialities.

-kris-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home