Sunday, February 05, 2006

Arriving home to good news and bad news

I arrived home after a month in the Philippines to both orchid proliferation and devistation. It seems that the one thing I failed to tell my orchid-sitter is that the main cause of orchid death is overwatering! I found six of my orchids in a sorry state and the worst was discovering two immersed in standing water! I immediately aerated and repotted the plants and all I can do is hope that they survive (especially the paphiopedilums!). I can't help but ask myself the question - Am I a bad mother?

On a more positive note I also arrived home to good news. Advanced growth on Neofinetia, do you remember the photo I posted of this plant a month ago? Slowly but surely the new growth is developing, but I am still unsure as to if it is a inflorescence or a plantlet.






Psycopsis papilio is as happy as ever with yet another bloom waiting to open and growth that has developed into two new pseudobulbs. It is such a rewarding plant!








A big and beautiful Cymbidium bloom was also waiting for me when I got home and it looks as though it may last at least another month.


And the most exciting....not one but TWO flower spikes emerging from Colmanara Wildcat "Gold Ring"!

11 Comments:

At 8:48 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

NICE CYMBIDIUM flowers !!! i'm so jealous, they're beautiful! My $5 cymbidium seems to be frozen in a state of growth with no sign of any flowering. Oh well, maybe one day!! Do these flowers smell at all?

 
At 3:02 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Nice crackpot! ;)

Naomi

 
At 2:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!

 
At 2:35 a.m., Blogger conny said...

I admire your cymbidium. I bought one a while ago with 14 buds. They are all flowering now. It is my first orchid, so I'm a bit impressed myself :-)
May I use your photo on my blog to show a cymbidium?

 
At 3:28 p.m., Blogger Funkybrewster said...

conny
you can definitely use the photo on your blog - what's the blog's name? Good luck with your first orchid and watch out they easily become an obsession!
Jenn

 
At 7:48 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks.
I have already linked to your blog on my http://ganskealmindelig.blogspot.com.
I haven't got the gear to easily get my photos transferred to pc, so I have to rely on the web. Therefore, I'm grateful that I can use your photo. I'll get around to it in a bit.

 
At 10:48 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Let's see an update of the Colmonara spike!

 
At 9:18 p.m., Blogger jonnyspace said...

I like orchids!

 
At 5:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

My orchids, are beautiful but I do have trouble with one in particular it seems as if It doesn't wnat to bloom, do you have any suggetstions to help me with this problem. I just repoted it and bought a good orchid fertilizer.

 
At 6:49 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Hi Daniel,
I'm no expert, but repotting and fertiziling definitely sound like good moves. One other important factor is light. If your orchid isn't doing anything in it's current location, try moving it to a higher light area and see what happens. You could also try increasing the humidity or air flow around it. I recently had a Phalaenopsis that did nothing for months. It could just be coincidence, but I moved it into the bathroom a few weeks ago. I just noticed yesterday that it has finally done something - it has a new leaf that is just starting.

 
At 9:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

These orchids are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them. The photographs are beautifully done.
I have hundreds of orchid pictures you might want to see....at boldcolorlife.com. Here's the link:http://www.boldcolorlife.com/botan1.htm
They are for sale if anyone is interested.
Warmly, Melissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home