Friday, November 11, 2011

Lepanthes woodburyana in situ!

Once again I am long overdue for a blog post! I am excited to be writing today about a trip to El Yunque National Forest I did at the end of October while on vacation in Puerto Rico.

We did an afternoon hike through the rainforest and I kept my eyes peeled for signs of orchids growing in the wild. I saw many bromeliads and what I believe were a couple of Pleurothalids that didn't appear to be in bloom. Luckily we had a guide who pointed out a tiny orchid in bloom - Lepanthes woodburyana, also known as babyboot orchid an apparently quite a common orchid. The flowers are super small but have are very brightly coloured.

Our trip to El Yunque happened to be on my birthday, so it was a great birthday gift to spot this endemic wild orchid in bloom!



More pictures and information of Lepanthes woodburyana here and here.

3 Comments:

At 6:34 p.m., Anonymous kathy said...

How exciting to see a Lepanthes in situ! Congrats!

 
At 9:07 p.m., Anonymous usa lover boy said...

Are you not feeling enthused about the upcoming Holiday season? Get into the Christmas spirit and take full advantage of all of the joys the season has to offer. Flowers bring beauty to the decoration and joy during this festive celebration of Christmas. Delivered flowers are practical to save your time and give your home a special vibe.

 
At 6:58 a.m., Anonymous artificial grass said...

The golden rule for orchid success is to duplicate the plant's natural conditions as closely as possible.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home