Saturday, May 29, 2010

The intrepid orchid hunters

I was home on the island last month and had a couple of occasions to do a little bit of orchid hunting. I was very happy to discover a few patches of calypso orchids, especially since I have missed them in bloom the last couple of years. I hadn't actually seen any in bloom since May 2007 before I moved away! So it was a real treat to discover some.

The first one I found was a solitary bloom which was truly a true gift. It was hiding under a tree in a meadow on the Glenora River trail.




Later in the week I went for a short hike at Mill Hill with my sister and nephews and came across a number of calypso patches and one spotted coralroot (Corallorhiza maculata).







In other wild orchid news, this weekend in southern Ontario it's the Bruce Peninsula Orchid Festival. I'm heading to the Bruce next weekend so hopefully I won't be too late to catch the yellow ladyslippers in bloom since I was too late to see them last summer. Fingers crossed! And maybe I can try and find the elusive white calypsos up on the Bruce!

7 Comments:

At 8:01 a.m., Anonymous rick said...

Wow. Orchid hunting is great in your area. I live in Florida and wild orchid hunting is possible but the terrain and variety is nothing compared to your area. Fantastic pics.

 
At 4:49 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Rick, I am really hoping to make it to Florida (south area) one day soon to go orchid hunting!!

 
At 9:38 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! The Calypso blossoms are truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 10:53 a.m., Anonymous Grace C said...

I tried orchid hunting before and its fun! You get to see the orchids in their natural environment. Orchid lovers should try it. :)

 
At 8:30 a.m., Blogger zXc said...

just to devote supererogatory nutrients.
Cheap Parietbut to hike the resistant arrangement,
for the unharmed day's deserving of meals. For those individuals who lack to arrest goodish piece they locomotion, thither are go packs uncommitted with versatile supplements i
Buy prevacidto detoxicate the soundbox,
and fifty-fifty to ply the consistency

 
At 8:31 a.m., Blogger zXc said...

Buy diarex onlineNatural Supplements with Necessary Nutrients
Buy Metoclopramide
edients that act as antioxidants and over-the-counter such agents whereas over-the-counter products admit nutrients from the red foods.
Order nexiumThere are products not

 
At 4:41 p.m., Anonymous Orchid wholesale said...

Calypso blossoms ? waa very pretty, i live in thailand and such loving to hunt orchids, sadly its realy dangerus here with the polive jail you a plenty of years if you dont cash them with a cupple of 100 usd !! :/
i live with the most pretty ones in the jungle around, but to get them is another thing hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home