Sunday, December 10, 2006

Laelia autumnalis

As the name implies, Laelia autumnalis blooms in the fall... well it's pretty much winter now but pretty close : ) It is a species native to Mexico requiring a definate rest period after flowering when I give it no water for a couple months till the psuedobulbs start to shrivel. This matches the dry period in it's natural environment which I was lucky enough to visit back in January of this year. I have enclosed a picture of Laelia autumnalis growing in the wild in the middle of the dry season and let me tell you.... it was dry! I was there for three weeks and not a drop of water was had so I am now not afraid to match this type of drought for the plant.

2 Comments:

At 1:06 a.m., Blogger Christina said...

Lovely flowers! Amazing that it survives such a harsh 'rest'.

 
At 10:01 p.m., Blogger Naomi @ WCOE said...

Great post, Sasha! Beautiful flowers and so neat that you were able to see the plant in its natural environment.

I should heed your advice about going strong on the no water. I think I just killed my Phal. schilleriana!! I think it was too wet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home